Re: vendor prefixes: co-cascading

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:36:59 -0800
Cc: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
How about prefixes that are vendor-indepdendent but spec-version-dependent?

-draft1-font-weight: itsy-bitsy
and then someone in CSS realizes that that's not a good word, the spec. changes, and so now
-draft2-font-weight: flimsy
and so on.  Ie. you change the X in 'draftX' whenever there is an incompatible change to the spec.  and there will always be an N such that -draftN-something is the same as -something.

At the moment, vendors can't easily version, and nor can we, and when vendors all do the same, we see stuff like
-mozilla-simple: 23
-webkit-simple: 23
-opera-simple: 23
-someoneelse-simple: 23

when a
-draft1-simple: 23

would have done it.

Handling the documents, such that the number for a given feature only increments when it changes, would be a pain, I know :-).

David Singer