RE: Unprefixing CSS properties

Side proposal:  CSSWG should probably make a wiki page so people can easily add the newest observations or proposals to a common location, since this seems to come up at least once a month.

If it’s not ready to CR, it’s not ready to unprefix.  I thought that was the general working model of the CSSWG.

Consequently, if you “really want” to unprefix then the focus should be on working with the WG to bring those specs to CR.

That might mean moving the “not ready” parts to “next” (3 to 4, 4 to 5, etc.) so they don’t hold up the “ready” parts.  It might mean splitting modules into smaller pieces as well.

Sidestepping the system because it’s inconvenient produces harm in the near term and long term as well as potentially the really long term (box-model width example).

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the proposal.

Looking down your list...

·         WD 2009/12 - http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-2d-transforms/

o   ED 2011/09

·         WD 2009/03 - http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-3d-transforms/

o   ED 2011/03

·         WD 2009/12 - http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-transitions/

o   ED 2011/07

·         WD 2009/03 - http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-animations/

o   ED 2011/07

·         WD 2011/09 - http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-conditional/

o   ED 2011/10

·         WD 2011/09 - http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-images/

o   ED 2011/11

·         WD 2011/09 - http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/

o   ED 2011/10

·         WD 2011/09 - http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/

o   ED 2011/10

·         WD 2011/09 - http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-selectors4-20110929/

o   ED 2011/11

It looks like all of these modules have gotten attention in the last 5 months, with the exception of 3D transforms.  And I’m pretty sure 3D transforms will get an edit sometime soon to catch up to a syntax change that was made for 2D transforms (Jennifer/Simon thread).

Just skimming some of the others...

·         transitions – the timing function property has an expanded grammar in ED relative to WD

·         animations – the timing function property has an expanded grammar in ED relative to WD

·         images – significant grammar changes proposed for radial-gradient; variety of changes in other sections

Evaluating that small sampling alone, I would argue that unprefixing is premature.

One could also make another argument...

Perhaps the prioritization should be on bringing the current set of CRs to RECs by bringing the test suite and implementations to quality and depth supporting that upgrade.
http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-all#tr_CR

http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-all#tr_LCWD

After that’s achieved, I’d bet that many of the current WD/ED specs will have reached LC/CR.
http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-all#tr_WD

In addition to trimming the breadth of active, non-REC specs, this would help in stabilizing the foundation that the newer specs are building upon.

Granted the shiny new toys are more fun to unwrap than the old toys...

-Brian