Re: [CSS21] Question on "Applies to:" information

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:30:46 -0800
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>

Le Mar 8 novembre 2011 15:11, L. David Baron a écrit :
> On Tuesday 2011-11-08 15:08 -0800, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> Le Mar 8 novembre 2011 14:11, L. David Baron a écrit :
>> > I think we should remove the "Applies To:" lines from our specs.  I
>> > think any benefit gained from them is lost by their inaccuracy
>> > (since, given their length, they are often approximations).  They've
>> > led to substantial confusion when they've been incorrect (e.g., when
>> > early drafts of transitions said that the properties apply only to
>> > inlines and blocks).
>> >
>> > In the case where they are intended to add restrictions on how the
>> > property works that are not already expressed in the prose, we
>> > should add those restrictions to the prose.
>> In the case of font-weight supposedly applying to all elements, this has
>> been stated as such since the initial CSS2 version of 1998.
>> The thing that would have been useful, helpful and meaningful wrt
>> font-weight property was to simply state that font-weight applies to all
>> elements which can render text or render inline text content or whose
>> content model can have text content.
> That's actually not true.

it is true for CSS 2.1. Generally true for CSS 2.1. Very often true for
CSS 2.1. Possibly always true for CSS 2.1.

> Consider, for example:
> img { font-weight: bold; width: 10ch; }
> The img element can't render inline text content, but the 'ch' unit
> is influenced by the weight of the font since it depends on the "0"
> glyph [1], so font-weight does have an effect here.

Okay. Granted. You spotted one exception to such general rule with a CSS 3

So... ?

> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-values/#ch-unit

I am for a CSS 2.1 spec (or a CSS 2.2 spec) which has useful, meaningful,
reliable information for web authors. If that implies removal of "Applies
to:" statements, then I'm for removing it.

Gérard Talbot
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite