Re: [css3-flexbox] cascading of flex()

From: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:59:03 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Now, when happens to not be a flexbox, what is computed value of ‘width’
> ?
> >
> > I see two options:
> >
> > 1)      100px (the ‘preferred’ part of flex)
> >
> > 2)      auto (initial value)
>
> I am fine with it computing to the preferred width.

The last paragraph of
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/#resolving-flexible-lengths already
requires this, no?

As for flex(1), I believe that for simplicity sake, we should say that sets
the preferred size to 0 in non-flex contexts. There's no use-case for doing
this. If authors doing it, they're surely making a mistake and will need to
fix it. So, we should do the behavior simplest to implement/understand.