Re: [CSS21] Question on section 9.5.1 Positioning float: error in sentence

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 14:24:22 +0100
CC: www-style@gtalbot.org
On 08/11/2011 01:55, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> I've read the following sentence at least 20 times and I think there's
> several small mistakes which can compromise comprehension.
>
> "
> But in CSS 2.1, if, within the block formatting context, there is an
> in-flow negative vertical margin such that the float's position is above
> the position it would be at were all such negative margins set to zero,
> the position of the float is undefined.
> "
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
>
> I think such sentence should be stating instead
>
> "
> But, in CSS 2.1, if, within the block formatting context, there is an
> in-flow negative vertical margin such that the float's position is above
> the position it would be at if such negative vertical margin was set to
> zero, then the position of the float is undefined.
> "

Hi Gérard,

Firstly, as I'm sure you're already aware but I note for the record,
this sentence is a pretty evil compromise to get CSS21 out the door
without having to worry about some difficult edge cases.  (I think the
sentence could have been made notably tighter whilst still avoiding said
edge cases, but there wasn't time unfortunately.)

Secondly, I think the sentence in the spec is a little strange but it's
grammatically OK.  If "there is an" were replaced with "there is one or
more" then the intent would be completely clear.  The existing sentence
is sound but it does use a rather over-formal style more typical of
mathematics than of this kind of spec (especially this particular spec!).

Cheers,
Anton