Re: [css3-images] aliases for 'cover' and 'contain'

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:56:11 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, "daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:47:00 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> This logic is sound, but at the same time, I am a bit worried about
>> serialization converting one alias to the other, and getting the same
>> kind
>> of complaint we get about red turning into rgb(255,0,0).
>
> Ah, whoops, forgot about that detail.  I'm not planning on making them
> compute to each other; there's really no reason to.

That's a bit better, but at then you get two values that are distinct from
each-other, and checking for equality gives false, even though they do
exactly the same thing. Not ideal either.

All in all, I am not violently opposed to aliases, but they do make me
feel a bit uncomfortable. Is there precedent for that?

  - Florian