Re: [css3-images] closest side radial gradients

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Private reply since that's my only option at the moment apparently.
>
> 1 - Your change of the meaning of "closest-side" makes it so different that I don't think that term reasonably applies at all anymore.  I wasn't being sarcastic or insulting in my prior mail.  I was seriously trying to understand what you were trying to remap it to and I don't think your remapping reasonably aligns with "closest-side".  We should leave closest-side as it is, with its current meaning for CSS3.
> 2 - If we want to add something like "closest-opposing-side" (or whatever we call it) in a future draft such as CSS4, that can be easily done and would not introduce incompatibilities with the "closest-side" as it is in the current WD.  [And I would likely even agree such new keywords/phrasing are useful and valuable for CSS4.]
>
> Tab's not saying it exactly the same way I am, but I think his thinking and conclusions are along similar lines.
>
> Tab - Please correct where I'm going wrong here.

Agreed completely with both points.  I understand where Brad's coming
from, but I still think that the current spec definition is the most
natural definition for the keyword's name.  I think we should look
into adding more implicit-sizing keywords in the level 4 draft.