Re: A Call for ::nth-everything

On 31/10/11 21:57, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> On 10/31/11 12:30 PM, Lars Gunther wrote:
>> Bringig this to your attention
>>
>> http://css-tricks.com/14771-a-call-for-nth-everything/
>
> I've used "nth-char" as a step in an HTML rendering engine
> (canvas+js), not to select a single character but to update my current
> style for rendering inline text. It was handy and easier than
> specifying and calculating ranges.
>
> The nth-everything proposal does not include ranges.
> I'd like ::nth-letter(3, 10) -- an offset and a length.
>
> That'd save me a lot of unwanted <span> manipulation.
>
> -Charles

That could be done with a combination of ::nth-letter rules if we become
able to chain certain pseudo-elements (which is highly requested in
other threads, not sure how it's going):
Letter >= 3 is ::nth-letter(n+3)
Letter <= 10 is ::nth-letter(-n+10)
Combining them: ::nth-letter(n+3)::nth-letter(-n+10)

However, I have a hunch that these suggestions, even though undeniably
useful, will probably prove out to be very hard to implement in a
reasonably performant way :(

--
Lea Verou (http://leaverou.me | @LeaVerou)