[css3-text] text-remainder (v. text-align-last)

From: Jerome Leclanche <adys.wh@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 14:44:27 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
After reading on text-align-last[1], I thought it'd be a good time to
bring up an old property I tried to implement in webkit a while back.
text-remainder (previously line-remainder) is a proposal to control
the remainder of a text block. Unlike text-align-last, it doesn't
control the alignment but on which line the remainder should be
present.
Namely, the following text (with the current, default text-remainder
value of "last"):
 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
 eiusmod tempor

Would, with a value of "first", wrap like this:
 Lorem ipsum dolor
 sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor

Note that while text-remainder is very different to text-align-last, I
could see it incorporate its functionality (eg. text-remainder: first
center;, first value being the remainder style, the second being its
alignment).

This functionality could also be used to design proper multiline tab
widgets, though that seems kind of irrelevant now.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-css3-text-20110412/#text-align-last0

J. Leclanche