Re: [css3-writing-modes] comments on the spec, part 1

On 30/05/2011 1:47 AM, John Daggett wrote:

> Some comments on the CSS3 Writing Modes spec, based on the 25 May 2011 Editor's Draft.
>

> 3.1 Block Flow Direction
>
> Doesn't writing-mode affect inline direction?  If so, calling this the
> "block flow direction" property is misleading and inaccurate.

Not really. Block Flow Direction happens in three directions.

   Value: horizontal-tb | vertical-rl | vertical-lr

Inline direction is here.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#direction

    Value: ltr | rtl

> The description of this property is a bit jumbled, I think the paragraph
> starting with "The 'writing-mode' property determines the direction of
> block flow." should really follow directly after the list of property
> values.

Agree.

> The discussion of SVG 1.1 values really isn't central to the
> definition of this property and covering those first doesn't answer the
> basic question "what is this property?".

Why do you say that. CSS can be used in SVGs. Regarding what is the
property. Perhaps this would be simpler.

   # The ‘writing-mode’ property determines the progression
   # of block-level boxes in a block formatting context.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/