Re: CSS Spec Annotations - Design Feedback Wanted

Le Dim 22 mai 2011 14:59, Linss, Peter a écrit :

> On May 22, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Gérard Talbot wrote:
>

>> Le Sam 21 mai 2011 23:29, timeless a écrit :

>>> definitely
>>

>> I agree with and support this "only run untested mode" proposal.
>
> Ok, I'll add it to my todo list.

>>> my other problem is testing things which have a reference rendering...
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>> http://test.csswg.org/harness/testcase?s=CSS21_DEV&f=html4&g=144&r=15&o=1
>>
>> When I follow this link, I end up at
>>
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/min-height-applies-to-002.htm
>
> A side effect of the intelligent test sequencing is that when sharing (or
> revisiting) harness URLs that are index based (the 'r' value in the query
> string above), you get whatever test happens to be at that index for the
> engine you're using. You'll get a different test depending on your engine
> and the current result data, so we're likely not looking at the same test.
>
> The index based URLs are a carry-over from old code (and yes, I know, bad
> design, violates URL integrity, etc). I'm working on a fix that uses the
> test names in the URL instead of the index. This way the URLs will always
> get you to the same test, it's just the *next* test that will be different
> based on engines and results... (this one's been bugging me for a while,
> I'm also looking at using mod_rewrite to remove the query entirely.) I was
> afraid that re-computing test indices would be a performance hit, but it
> doesn't seem too bad (actually lets me speed up other code to compensate).
>

>>> there are links to the reference, but they cause my browser to lose
>>> its scroll position, so i can't view the top 1/3 of a test, click the
>>> reference, check for flash, view the top 1/3, press <space> (shows
>>> 2/3), click the test part, press space (shows 2/3), click the
>>> reference (shows 2/3), check for flash. possibilities:
>>> * being able to view things side by side
>>> * abusing transparency to have a view w/
>>> -- test above reference
>>> -- reference above test
>>

>> I understand this scroll position issue wrt reftests and agree that it
>> is
>> annoying: it makes the tester click (the scrollbar thumb) and/or scroll
>> more.
>
> Understood. In general, tests that require scrolling are in violation of
> our guidelines [1], so this isn't a problem that's high on my list. The
> best solution that comes to my mind is using javascript in the harness to
> swap the tests and references rather than a reload, but a design criteria
> so far has been to not rely on script in the client. Another fix could be
> to capture the scroll position and send it to the other page.

scrollTop property during a scroll event on a element like a div is
retrievable in almost all browsers:
http://www.gtalbot.org/BugzillaSection/DocumentAllDHTMLproperties.html

I have not tried on a <object> acting as an iframe though.

> [1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/guidelines.html#the-long

1-
The height of the <object> varies from one browser to another: that too
can influence the amount of scrolling and the possibility of having to
scroll to reach the [PASS][FAIL][Can not say][Skipped] buttons at the
bottom.

In Konqueror 4.6.3, the height of the <object data='...' type='text/html'>
is considerably taller than the height of the same <object data='...'
type='text/html'> in Firefox 4.0.1

2-
.test {
  height: 70%;
  width: 100%;
  text-align: center;
  display: table-row;
}
.test p {
  height: inherit;
  display: table-cell;
}
object {
  height: 98%;
(...)
}

a) "height: inherit" on a percentage value in nested cases may also be
buggy in some browsers. And it is redefined in
<link href='test_gecko.css' type='text/css' rel='stylesheet'>
and
<link href='test_webkit.css' type='text/css' rel='stylesheet'>
from 70% to 90%

b)
Add to this:
"
CSS 2.1 does not define how the height of table cells and table rows is
calculated when their height is specified using percentage values.
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#height-layout

3-
There are a bunch redeclarations in the 3 stylesheets and sometimes more
than once. They can be easily identified in some browsers: in webkit-based
browsers, the declaration are striken and can be toggled by
checking/unchecking a checkbox. Sometimes, they are needed though... but,
after a quick look, sometimes not needed.

4-
http://test.csswg.org/test_presto.css
is defined for Opera browsers
<link href='test_presto.css' type='text/css' rel='stylesheet'>
but is 404 not found.

5-
Since <h2 class="title"> has clear: both (btw, just clear: left; would
suffice to clear the img), then <h3 class="testname"> does not need to be
cleared with clear: both.

Peter,

I want you to know that overall I am extremely happy with the CSS 2.1 test
suite as it is right now. Do not perceive my comments as a criticism.

I think overall, the nr 1 problem with the test suite is the testcases
themselves and the web authors' perspective[1]: there is now just too many
issues right now with many testcases.

I am for adding new testcases, better testcases to make the testsuite more
complete, comprehensive.

[1]: it would take me some time to elaborare on this... which I do not
have right now.

best regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011