Clarifications on @charset encoding name

From: Nathan D. Ryan <ansciath@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 13:19:28 +0200
To: www-style@w3c.org
Can the characters of the encoding name of an @charset rule be escaped, as with a Unicode escape (e.g., "\0061")? I assume no, but I would appreciate a clarification.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Feb/0250.html

This 2009 message from Boris Zbarsky indicates that escaped *quotes* are not permitted in the encoding name. Still, the specs seem to intimate rather than state that the string of an @charset rule is not subject to unescaping. This contradicts the grammar of Appendix G (though I realize other syntactic constraints for the @charset rule have been established).

Thanks!