RE: [css3-regions] more feedback

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 01:43:15 +0000
To: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org CSS" <www-style@w3.org>
 From: Vincent Hardy [mailto:vhardy@adobe.com]
 Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:09 PM

 region-overflow: break | auto

Sounds good.

 >I would expect that when an element becomes a flow source, its 'float'
 >and 'position' properties are ignored.

 That is not my understanding. For example:

 .illustrations {
     float: left;
     flow: 'sidebar';
 }

 It still makes sense for the elements in the 'sidebar' flow to float into
 the regions that receive the sidebar content. The current draft does not
 mandate any restrictions on the flow element's float and position
 properties.

I guess if you define concatenation of multiple content sources as a single anonymous block that contains the source elements (that's how you define, it right?) then you wouldn't ignore any properties on source elements.

I looked at it from considering that the main use case is a single source, in which case content is important but properties like 'float' or 'position' seem not applicable.

There may be no contradiction here, setting 'float:left' on content is same as setting 'float:left' on <body> - it rarely makes sense but it works...

I don't object then. But I'm still confused with the need of classifying flows... Perhaps some time with a whiteboard will clear that.