Re: proposed new module: css3 floats and positioning

On May 18, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:
>
>> Large subset of use cases for page floats is covered by "position:page; wrap-type:around" in this proposal.
>
> It seems that these are equivalent:
>
>  position: page;
>  wrap-type: around;
>  top: 0;
>  ~~~
>  float: top;
>
> and
>
>  position: page;
>  wrap-type: around;
>  bottom: 0;
>  ~~~
>  float: bottom;
>
> Is that right?

At first glance yes; but I don't think so:

- if you assume that page float model implies (like the normal float model) that floats don't overlap and
- that wrap-type affects how text wraps (and otherwise doesn't move boxes around)

Then the difference would be that in the float: page case it would not overlap with any other floats; whereas in the position: page case it could/would overlap with other positioned elements.

Kind regards,
- Jacob