Re: [css3-images] Changing the angles in gradients

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 11:20:09 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "Robert O'Callahan" <rocallahan@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 18, 2011, at 11:09 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You presented it as a change you were leaning towards making, and as though there would be no problems with making such a radical change now. That's biased.
>>
>> There is no real problem.  All current implementations are
>> experimental by definition.  If pages break, they should be
>> maintained.  Keeping people aware that prefixed stuff may break is a
>> good thing.  ^_^
>
> Maintained how? I don't mind maintaining the CSS in my site when there are changes to the experimental properties and values. But the only thing I can do once this change is made in a UA is to remove all instances of linear-gradient from my site for that UA, and then wait a year or more for the people who use the older version to drop to inconsequential numbers.

That's why, as I mentioned later in the email you're quoting, browsers
are free to keep their current prefixed impls stable and only make the
switch when they drop the prefix.  I believe Firefox has this as a
general policy, for example, which is why they still use an older
gradient syntax that allowed an explicit starting position for linear
gradients.