Re: [css3-images] Changing the angles in gradients

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 10:41:43 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On 05/18/2011 10:21 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On May 18, 2011, at 10:06 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> So, we have three choices:
>>>
>>> A) Keep the angles as they are, with 0deg=East and 90deg=North
>>> B) Switch to screen-coord polar, with 0deg=East and 90deg=South
>>> C) Switch to bearing angles, with 0deg=North and 90deg=East
>>
>> Based on the frankly overwhelming preference for C expressed in the
>> various feedback channels, particularly the css3.info poll, I'll
>> change the spec to use bearing angles.
>
> The css3.info one was asked in a biased way, without presenting the opposing
> arguments very much at all.

The arguments for A were presented /first/. Yes, it presented his
opinion and how it changed over time, but I don't think the arguments
were left out. If anything, the argument for bearing coords over
screen-coord was shortchanged (there was no statement in favor of A
over B, though B was mentioned as the logical fallout from the
screen-coord system), yet it wound up to be more popular.

If you read the comments, almost all of them explain their reasoning.

> Isn't this something for the WG to decide, rather than just you?

Yes, the decision here should be a WG resolution.

~fantasai