Re: [CSS21] [Section 6.2.1] inherit keyword versus specified value instead of computed value of its parent's property

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 13:56:41 +0200
On Tue, 17 May 2011 21:44:50 +0200, Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
wrote:

> The Proposed Recommendation of CSS 2.1 changed important words in section
> 6.2.1 [1], which are highlighted in green and red+striken in C.8.49:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/changes.html#q543
>
> My question relates to this sentence:
>
> "
> Each property may also have a cascaded value of 'inherit', which means
> that, for a given element, the property takes the same specified value as
> the property for the element's parent.
> "
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#value-def-inherit
>
> "the property takes the same computed value" [2]
> has been replaced with
> "the property takes the same specified value" [1]
> which makes a huge difference. Consider now this test:
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/border-width-011.htm

It already says further up that "When inheritance occurs, elements inherit
computed values. The computed value from the parent element becomes both
the specified value and the computed value on the child". I think the
intention might be that the <p> in that test gets 2em as specified value
for 'border-width' and 0 as computed value. Even so, that seems a little
strange and not very clear from the spec.

http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-259

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA