Re: [css3-cascade] Browser extension style sheets and the cascade

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:34:47 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>, www-style@w3.org
On 5/17/11 1:25 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I also agree, though, that UAs should make it clear exactly what
> ordering is applied here - if they allow users to apply their own
> stylesheets, it should be clear whether these come before or after
> extension-generated user-zone stylesheets.

Well, Gecko allows applying your own sheets; you just have to place the
file in a known location in your profile.

The interaction of this with extension-inserted sheets is documented at
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/ae15b103571c/layout/base/nsIStyleSheetService.idl#l60

There's no good place to put user-facing documentation for this that I
see, since the "place a file in your profile" thing itself has no user
documentation.  If it did, it would presumably just say that this takes
precedence over sheets extensions add.  Of course extensions can also
just write that file in your profile....

-Boris