Re: [css3-regions] pagination and inline elements

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 22:32:23 -0700
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org CSS" <www-style@w3.org>
On 5/16/11 9:08 PM, "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]

There may also be a way to float pull quote regions using breaks, where the
pull quote content would otherwise be contiguous with the rest of the
content in the HTML. I haven't yet experimented with that.

> I wonder if InDesign has linked text containers that have automatic behavior
> like that? Or are you describing existing design patterns that are now manual
> but have to be more automatic online?

InDesign has flirted with adaptive layout features, but at the moment is
mainly manual in this regard. It's a problem that needs solving, I think -
particularly as InDesign targets HTML/CSS more and more. Constraint-based
layout would be a boon for our designers who need to target multiple device
profiles.

Alan