RE: [css3-regions] more feedback

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 03:41:46 +0000
To: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org CSS" <www-style@w3.org>
 From: Vincent Hardy [mailto:vhardy@adobe.com]
 Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 12:33 PM

 One clarification below.

 I was focusing on the applicability of 'content: from()' to inline
 elements when I wrote this but did not mean to say no to having use cases
 for regions separate from paginated content (thanks Alan for pointing out
 that my response was unclear).

 For example, you might want to have multiple columns of various widths at
 the top of the document and then have the rest flow in a single div.

 Also, you could imaging having pull-out quotes throughout the document
 (even though this might require additional features, like the ability to
 have regions only take one item [here, a quote], from the flow at a time).

It is a tradeoff between a more narrow spec that is easier to implement and broader one that is thought through beyond v.1...

I believe we tend to put more narrow definition in normative spec (required for all implementations) and suggest extended options in non-normative language.

For example:

	"content:from()" applies to block-level elements. UA may apply
	that to inline elements; precise behavior is undefined in that
	case, but is generally expected to be similar to that of inline
	:before and :after pseudo-elements.

It doesn't sounds very exact, and it isn't, but it includes non-normative guidance for UAs willing to experiment with extended functionality...