RE: [css3-regions] more feedback

± -----Original Message-----
± From: Vincent Hardy [mailto:vhardy@adobe.com]
± Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 12:33 PM
±
± One clarification below.
±
± I was focusing on the applicability of 'content: from()' to inline
± elements when I wrote this but did not mean to say no to having use cases
± for regions separate from paginated content (thanks Alan for pointing out
± that my response was unclear).
±
± For example, you might want to have multiple columns of various widths at
± the top of the document and then have the rest flow in a single div.
±
± Also, you could imaging having pull-out quotes throughout the document
± (even though this might require additional features, like the ability to
± have regions only take one item [here, a quote], from the flow at a time).

It is a tradeoff between a more narrow spec that is easier to implement and broader one that is thought through beyond v.1...

I believe we tend to put more narrow definition in normative spec (required for all implementations) and suggest extended options in non-normative language.

For example:

	"content:from()" applies to block-level elements. UA may apply
	that to inline elements; precise behavior is undefined in that
	case, but is generally expected to be similar to that of inline
	:before and :after pseudo-elements.

It doesn't sounds very exact, and it isn't, but it includes non-normative guidance for UAs willing to experiment with extended functionality...