Re: [css3-text] Comments on hyphenation

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 08:28:26 -0700
Cc: Mathias Nater <mathiasnater@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
To: robert@ocallahan.org

On May 16, 2011, at 5:56 AM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> I'm not too excited about implementing hyphenate-resource. It seems unlikely to me that a significant number of Web developers will bother developing and deploying their own hyphenation dictionaries.

I think it would be very useful for authors to be able to include their own supplemental hyphenation dictionaries, containing words they use in their industry, brand names, product names, jargon, etc. that wouldn't be in any built-in resource or algorithm. Is that what we are talking about here? It would not have to be hand-coded every time; an authoring tool could provide a way to add words to the resource, or a tool could provide a way to convert and include the user dictionaries already used in the author's word processing or design/publishing software.