Re: [css3-regions] Feedback on regions document

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:30:31 -0500
Cc: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org CSS" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
On May 12, 2011, at 3:00 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On May 12, 2011, at 10:49 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Once you limit the set of applicable properties to only those that apply to first-line, all you lose with the line styling approach is the ability to specify distinct backgrounds on block elements inside a particular region, but I think that loss is acceptable given that you can specify backgrounds on the regions themselves.
>
> If I understand correctly, this means you could not, for instance, float an image to different sides based on region (e.g. to the left in a left-side-of-page region and to the right in a right-side-of-page region. Is that correct? Maybe we could expand the list of applicable properties beyond that of first-line?

I think that sort of behavior would be better specified using a new float property value rather than region-specific styling rules, since you'd like to do that in multi-column layouts as well.  I don't think I should have to use @region-style just to get that behavior in existing CSS3 multi-column layouts.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)