Re: Gradients and background-repeat (Was: Re: Automatic spec annotations)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 09:45:28 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish you would stop calling it names as a means to try to defeat it. It is no more magic than looking at the information inside a JPG in order to determine what 'background-size:auto' means, or to find an intrinsic aspect ratio which then sets a width or height of an image. In this case, we'd be looking inside a CSS-generated image to determine what the background canvas rotation should be, and then limiting the rotation inside the image to zero, in a happily cooperative fashion.

I use the term magic because that's what it is - it's a property value
tweaking the behavior of certain values of another property.  We try
to avoid this whenever possible and keep properties orthogonal.  When
it does happen, it's usually a property specifically designed to
modify a particular aspect of another property in a clear way.  This
is instead changing the behavior of a specific kind of value when it's
used in another property.

~TJ