Re: [Selectors4] Semantic Pseudo Elements

Brad Kemper:
> On May 11, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Christoph Päper wrote:
>
>> It is not as unrealistic, though, that there is a quite limited set of semantic or stylistic keywords that pretty much every plain text markup language could easily be mapped to.
>
> How do you figure?

They pretty much all already have a mapping to (a subset) of HTML, although sometimes the ‘i’/‘em’ and ‘b’/‘strong’ distinction is kind of muddy.

> It is no easier for an implementor to map a pseudo-element to a chunk of markup than to map an element name to a chunk of markup.

Right, that’s why I said that this decision would be secondary. I just prefer pseudo classes, not least for ‘:link’ already is one.

The selector ‘:emphasis’ could not only apply to Markdown’s ‘_’ but also to HTML’s ‘em’ element type, besides the usual selector ‘em’. I don’t see that happening for a selector called ‘emphasis’.