Fwd: Automatic spec annotations

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:34:12 -0700
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
You're right.

On May 10, 2011, at 10:17 AM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser@apple.com> wrote:

> This feedback should be on www-style.
> Simon

>>> Yes, check out Lea Verou's CSS Patterns Gallery
>>> <http://leaverou.me/css3patterns/>. Several of them use repeating
>>> gradients in the obvious way.

I disagree that using a special version of linear-gradient to make backgrounds repeat is "the obvious" way. The obvious way to repeat backgrounds is with background-repeat. And that is what most of the ones I looked at did.

>>> A few that use background-position
>>> instead do so for bandwidth savings, such as the blueprint grid, where
>>> it happens that you can create a repeating square grid in slightly
>>> fewer bytes by defining a two-color gradient and an explicit
>>> background-size.  (This is largely because defining stripes rather
>>> than smooth gradients is relatively verbose, as you have to write each
>>> color twice - a stripe generator is on my list of potential Images 4
>>> things.)

I see that "argyle" uses two layers of repeating-linear-gradient to do the repeats and two layers of background-repeat to do the repeating. Otherwise, most of the others I looked at used normal background properties, and I think they all use background-size. I didn't look at each and every example, but that was my impression after looking at many of them. From these examples, I would say that using normal background repeating properties is the norm, and using the mutated version of gradients to do the repeating is an unnecessary exception.