Re: [CSSOM] does CaretPosition need a "before/after" hint?

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> Gecko's internal equivalent of CaretPosition has a flag that we use to
>> disambiguate "the caret is after character N-1 of the text node" and "the
>> character is before character N of the text node". This matters because in
>> bidi situations the screen positions of those caret locations can be
>> different. For example, consider the text node "Latin HEBREW" rendered as
>> Latin WERBEH
>> If the caret is after the space, then it should be displayed in the middle
>> of the line. If the caret is before the H, it should be displayed at the end
>> of the line.
>>
>> Does the CSSOM CaretPosition need to expose something similar?

While WebKit does NOT currently support hinted-caret, we're planning to
implement such a feature in the future.  For this purpose, exposing the
bidi-level rather than a flag might be more useful.  Also, if we're adding
this flag/bidi-level, we probably need to expose visual ordering of text as
well.  Is there any mechanism proposed to do such?

- Ryosuke