Re: Styling the browser itself

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Mark Ayers <markthema3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this allowed for in any part of the specifications? For an example of
> what I'm talking about, open this page in Chrome:
> http://www.ineedwebpage.com/ and look at the scrollbar. I am trying to
> figure out if this is possible in any other browsers (haven't checked
> safari, but it should work, as it has a -webkit prefix), as well as if there
> might be an easier (read: non-prefixed) way of doing this (now or in the
> future).
[snip example ::webkit-scrollbar code]

In general, no, CSS does not allow you to style the browser chrome,
because browsers are free to implement whatever type of chrome they
want, and this is an important and useful freedom.

Some limited forms of chrome styling, such as styling form inputs and
possibly scrollbars, are being explored in the CSS UI module.

~TJ