Re: [css3-text] Tab U+0009 expansions to 8 spaces (was New WD of CSS Text Level 3

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 17:22:24 -0700 (PDT)
To: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>

timeless wrote:

> > Authors who want more precise controls should expand to
> > appropriate spaces by scripts, or use other controls to format
> > lines than <pre> tag.
> >
> > Does this sound reasonable?
>
> not really. authors might be embedding things like <patches> which
> need to have tab characters. these characters need to be able to
> safely be copied out into editors and shells.
>
> this is used heavily by programmers when visiting pastebins.

I don't understand this comment.  Specifying that the size of tabs
*when rendered* is a certain multiple of space width does not affect
the contents in a copy/paste buffer.  If a pastebin page uses a
different tab size viewers will see differing results, just as when
content containing tabs is copied between text handling apps with
different tab settings.

John Daggett