Re: Printing and background colors/images

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 09:52:40 +0300
To: ifette@google.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Personally, I'd rather a system where users get a preview of what will
print before it prints.

The problem with the current state of printing is that media style
sheets mean that what you see is not what you get, instead, what you
get is a total surprise.

To enable authors to make background more appealing, the print preview
can render side by side both the with and without versions, which will
enable users to make an *informed* decision.

Sure there's some cost, you have to have a working print preview, but
informed consent really is a much better path. Some applications embed
the print preview into the print dialog (I think Adobe Reader does),
but how User Agents would choose to implement a useful print preview /
the ability to see if printing backgrounds is worthwhile is an
implementation detail.