RE: [css3-animations] Times are listed as unitless

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 19:01:30 +0000
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>
CC: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
[Brian Manthos:]
> > There is at least one case: temperatures
> >
> > 0 Kelvin != 0 Celsius != 0 Fahrenheit
> >
> > (it doesn't matter for this specific discussion but if one day CSS
> > introduces color temperatures though color temperatures are always
> > expressed in
> > Kelvins.)
>
> Aren't temperatures another way of defining color intensity?
>
> If so, there's your example for CSS[.next]+ spec.

If different temperature units are used, yes. Like Karl I'm not aware
of color temperature expressed in non-Kelvin units. Even then, I'm not
sure this one exception would necessarily justify the inconvenience of
specifying units on all zeroes from a usability standpoint. Why you
need a unit on 0 temperature is naturally understandable. Why you need
it on everything else is less so; and not only have we set a precedent
with lengths but this is - and will likely remain - the most used type
in CSS.