RE: [css3-images] Features Overview

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 18:49:30 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> > Personal opinion:
> > At the rate we're going, background will soon require a full
> > backgroundparser.dll just for its value property.  Find another property to
> torture parsers with.
>
> I don't think replacing the example with list-style-type would help anyone
> much.

You are correct.  List-style (not list-style-type) has the same problem, just to a lesser degree because it doesn't support layers and has 3 simple components rather than 8 complex ones (well really 4 complex ones and 4 simple ones).

I was not suggesting replacing the example.

I was suggesting that the "let's make it infinitely complex" path that we're currently on for 'background' values is the wrong road.

It's easy in a spec to say "oh, we'll just keep redefining <image> to add new stuff" but there is a significant cost to the ecosystem (implements, authors, users) in doing so.

- Brian