Re: [css3-animations] Times are listed as unitless

On May 5, 2011, at 16:50 , Dean Jackson wrote:

> On 03/05/2011, at 8:42 AM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>

>> [Simon Fraser:]

>>> I'm strongly in favor of unitless zero everywhere. As an author, I
>>> wouldn't be able to remember where I need units and where I do not if the
>>> rules differ for different values.
>>
>> Same everywhere is ideal. Or a single exception such as "not required for
>> lengths but needed everywhere else". I'd be OK with either. Any more
>> complicated is a fail imo.
>
> Count me in with Simon and Eric. The majority of CSS developers are going to expect 0 means 0 everywhere, and that you don't need to worry about units.

>From a metrics point of view, I have a hard time thinking of a case where 0<unit> means something different from 0 (with the units implied). From an authoring point of view, I agree that most would expect 0 to be clear as meaning, well, none of whatever is expected here.

However, are we sure that there are no cases in the grammar where you understand something was left out, or not, based on its data type?  That is, say you have

something optional-angle optional-length

and the default values are not zero.  then
something 0
could be setting the angle to zero and leaving the length at default, or vice versa.

Are we sure that there are no parsing-depends-on-units-implying-type places in CSS?

David Singer