Re: [CSS21] no definition of when inlines split due to bidi reordering

On 01/25/2011 12:25 PM, L. David Baron wrote:

> And in section 9.4.2, it says:
>    # Inline boxes may also be split into several boxes within the
>    # same line box due to bidirectional text processing.
>    --http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#inline-formatting
>
> First, this should probably say "might" rather than "may".
>
> Second, nothing that I can see defines when and how this splitting
> occurs.  (Section 8.6 refers to this splitting but does not define
> it.)

So... I'm having trouble coming up with a definition to put in CSS3
Writing Modes. The best I've come up with so far is:

   | Since bidi reordering can split apart and reorder text that is
   | logically contiguous, bidirectional text can cause an inline box
   | to split.

(And then there's a bunch of text copied from CSS2.1 about which boxes
get which bits of padding and border.)

Suggestions?

~fantasai