On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2011, at 11:02 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That sounds bad, but the question is what things will be like in two
>>> months from now.
>>
>> That does sound like reasonable precautions right now; if our meeting
>> was next week I would definitely be in favor of cancelling/moving.  I
>> do not believe it should be relied on for decisions about travel two
>> months from now.
>
> There still seems to be a lot of uncertainty about the nuclear reactors, and whether that station will get better or worse. Some reports say it is getting worse and problems may spread to the other reactor buildings at that site, as emergency workers are forced to pull back. It seems to soon to be assuming that the danger will be past in a couple months.

If the reactor goes into full meltdown and pollutes all of northern
japan with unlivable levels of radiation, we can cancel our meeting
then.  Right now, the radiation levels in Tokyo are still *way* below
the FDA-recommended limits (in particular, they're below the *ordinary
background radiation* of many cities that people live happy lives in).