Re: [css3-text] Resource At-Rule vs. Property, Syllabic vs. Morphemic Hyphenation

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:34:33 +0200
fantasai:

> IMHO, combining 'hyphenate-resource' and '@hyphenate-resource' à la 'font-family' and @font-face is too complex. Why do you think we need this?

We probably don’t. I just wanted to make sure this option was considered since it seems there are advocates for either solution.

>>   @hyphenate-resource en /* _only_ BCP47 strings valid here? */ {
>
> I don't understand what you're getting at with that comment.

If named hyphenation resources would be introduced they could be limited to BCP47 strings or anything could be allowed. The former has the possible benefit of enabling implied ‘:lang()’ rules.

> Perhaps we could allow replacing the "use system resources" keyword with 'syllabic' or 'morphemic' to express a preference.

We could, but I guess authors usually don’t know enough about the linguistic foundation, they only know that there are new and old rules.