Re: [css3-text] Proposed pruning & scoping of hyphenation properties

On 03/29/2011 09:21 PM, Christian Stockwell wrote:

> I don't follow. What is the hyphenation dictionary supposed to take
> care of here? Perhaps it would help to describe an expected use case
> for "word-wrap: hyphenate" and how it would relate to usage of "hyphens".

The use case is that hyphenation is turned off. We don't really want
hyphenation. But there's this really big word that doesn't fit. We
have three options here, represented by the "emergency-wrap" ('word-wrap')
property:
   - overflow the containing block ("word-wrap: normal")
   - break arbitrarily ("word-wrap: break-word")
   - fire up the hyphenation engine and wrap the word via hyphenation
     ("word-wrap: hyphenate")

> (Adding one point that I just noticed)
> 7. 5 of the "control" properties are specified as optional:
> The following author controls are not required to be supported for the
> UA to claim conformance to CSS Text Level 3:
> *'hyphenate-limit-zone'
> *'hyphenate-limit-chars'
> *'hyphenate-limit-lines'
> *'hyphenate-resources'
> *'@hyphenate-resource'
>
> It seems like hyphenate-limit-last should be included in that list,
> but is not. Was it omitted in error?

Nope, that was intentional. There was some discussion in the F2F that
a lot of the hyphenation controls become not so necessary if you support
Tex-style paragraph breaking: there's not so much need for tweaking the
hyphenation limits to get good behavior. That's why I put those limit
properties in the optional list.

'hyphenate-limit-last' doesn't fall into that category: whether hyphenation
is allowed on the last line of a page or spread is more stylistic choice
than optimal breaking lever. So it made sense to leave it out of the list.

~fantasai