Re: box tree terminology

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:44 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>  rendering tree thing
>    This is often referred to as a "box". Except for display: none elements,
>    which have none, and display: list-item elements, which have two, there
>    is only one "thing" per source document element.
>
>  box layout thing
>    This is also referred to as a "box". A "rendering tree thing" can have
> one
>    or more "box layout things": inline rendering tree things get split into
>    multiple box layout things during line breaking, and other rendering tree
>    things can split into multiple box layout things due to pagination.

The former should still be "box", as that's the thing that exists in
the box-tree.  That terminology has been around for so long, there's
no reason to change it.

How many ways can the latter differ from the former?  Inline boxes are
broken up into lineboxes, or contain lineboxes, or something.  Across
a page/column/region break, any box can be broken; we can create a
term for the sub-boxes thus created.  Is there anything else?  It may
be that we don't need a general term for this, and it would be clearer
to just use the specific term when appropriate.