Re: [css3-gcpm] Controlling alignment of leaders

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:42:45 +0200
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Also sprach Bert Bos:

 > The section on leaders says that UAs should try to align the glyphs
 > in leaders in multiple lines. That is indeed often what you want,
 > especially with the most common of all leaders, the dot leader. But
 > sometimes it isn't.
 >
 > You may want to have equal space at the start and end of the
 > leader, or align the glyphs to the left or right. This is an
 > example where I I'd like to get rid of the gap at the right end of
 > the leader:
 >
 >     span::after { content: leader("⎯") "→"; font-family: Symbol }

Right. I can see that being a use case, and it probably falls under
the concept of a leader.

 > I haven't thought about a good syntax yet, but maybe an optional
 > second parameter on the leader() notation? Or variants of leader()
 > itself?
 >
 >     content: leader("⎯", right) "→"
 >
 >     content: end-leader("⎯") "→"

Having it as an (optional) argument makes most sense to me.

Perhaps with these values:

  leader('.', align)   /* align with other leaders, default */
  leader('.', end)     /* push leader towards the end, so that any space appears at the start of the leader */
  leader('.', start)   /* push leader towards the start, so that any space appears at the end of the leader */
  leader('.', auto)   /* make space at the start ane end of the leader equal */

-h&kon