Re: [CSS21] Resolution to Issue 229 is flawed

On 27/03/2011 22:28, Anton Prowse wrote:
> Secondly, change the recently-added text:
>
> # But in CSS 2.1, if, within the block formatting context, there is
> # an in-flow negative vertical margin such that the float's position
> # is above the position it would be at were the negative margin set
> # to zero, the position of the float is undefined.
>
> to:
>
> | But in CSS 2.1, if there is another floated box generated by an
> | element earlier in the source document whose containing block is
> | established by a different element than that for the float, and
> | there is an in-flow negative vertical margin such that the other
> | floated box influences the application of rule 5, then the position
> | of the float is undefined.

That's not quite right.  (I kept changing my mind as to whether rule 5
should include or exclude the behaviour that doesn't have interop.  In
the end I excluded it.)  So the second part of my proposal, above,
should have said:

   | If there is another floated box generated by an element earlier in
   | the source document whose containing block is established by a
   | different element than that for the float, and the above rules
   | would place the float higher than the other floated box, then
   | CSS 2.1 does not define whether the float should in fact be placed
   | higher than that other float.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net