Re: [CSS21] top margin edge - hence static position - is not well-defined

On 27/03/2011 19:11, Alan Gresley wrote:
> On 28/03/2011 2:45 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:

>>> This is since the margins of elements with position absolute do not
>>> collapse [1] 8.3.1.
>>
>> Alan, we're talking about the calculation of the _static position_ of
>> absolutely positioned elements.
>
> I know, the static position is seen when it is static (in normal flow).
> Remove position: absolute and you have it's static position. This is
> what a browser has to work out. What it's position would be if it was
> position: static.

Yes, so the point is that there's no excuse for Fx and IE using the
rules for margin-collapsing of abspos boxes when calculating the static
position, since the boxes are not abspos when calculating their static
position!  Basically, these browsers are just being lazy.  There is
interop for what the non-lazy browsers (Op and Sf) do though, and it's
that behaviour that we should probably specify.  We need to specify
/something/...

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net