Re: [CSS21] Objection over Issue 203 (clearance and hypothetical position) (Was: Re: [CSS21] Clearance - the missing manual)

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 22:01:11 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
On 24/03/2011 21:24, fantasai wrote:
> The proposal is to replace
> # the element had a non-zero bottom border and its 'clear' property
> with
> | the element's 'clear' property

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm advocating.

Note that there do exist peculiarities with this solution in certain
special self-collapsing cases (as indeed is the case with any solution)
due to the discontinuity that exists in 8.3.1.6 between the two
subcases.  This is the subject of [1] (as-yet unfiled in the Issues
list), where I provided a proposal that would fully disguise the
peculiarity if the proposal above were to be adopted.  I'd like this to
be filed, even if it gets deferred until Errata.  (Note that this is
similar but unrelated to Issue 207.)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0526.html

Cheers,
Anton Prowse