[CSS2.1] blocks with missing end bracket and parsing error

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 07:04:46 +1100
To: CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
Hello all,

This is a bug that I discovered tonight after a post on CSS discuss (my
replies have to turned up yet).

<http://css-class.com/test/css21testsuite/blocks-031.xht>

What I found interesting is that in IE8 and IE9, the remainder of the
style-sheet is thrown out. The pertinent CSS is this.

    p [ background: red }

    .test1 { background: green }

    .test2 { background: green }

All browsers drop the rule-set '.test'. IE8 and IE9 only see the above
but the other browsers add a closing bracket ']' at the end of the first
rule-set, like so.

     p [ background: red }]

Firstly I don't know why the second rule-set ('.test') is dropped by all
browsers and secondly I don't know what the expected parsing behavior
should be.

1. <http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/115234>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/