Re: [CSS2.1] escapes, characters and parsing

On 25/03/2011 4:19 AM, Gabriele Romanato wrote:
> Your tests lack of the<meta assert=""/>  so it's difficult to say what is
> correct or wrong here.

Hello Gabriele,

Yes, I did forget the <meta assert=""/> but I not sure if your assert
below is correct.

> Generally, an escape sequence is said to remove any special meaning to the
> characters that follow it.
> So \* should be read as...? The point is that you're using literal tokens
> here, so you should write an assert statement that says:

> Assert: An escape sequence removes the special meaning of tokens.
>
> However, an escape sequence also introduces an Unicode sequence. Since the
> sequences you've provided (in the cases of \p and \*) are not valid Unicode
> sequences, it's likely that some browsers ignore them and try to apply the
> first thing they recognize as valid (so \p becomes p and \* becomes *).
>
> HTH :-)
>
> Gabriele

I not sure if I can agree with this (I'm really confused). You say that
'\*' becomes '*' which WebKit applies to <body>.

A simpler test that removes '\*' shows the same results among the
browsers (minus the viewport background-color).

<http://css-class.com/test/css21testsuite/escapes-033.xht>

This time the pertinent CSS is this.

    \p { background: green; }

    body \2a { background: red; }

Still WebKit apples the style for the last rule-set (starting with
'body') to one <p> and one <div>. It is like WebKit is seeing this for
the <p>.

    \p { background: red; }

I do not understand how WebKit can style the <div> with a red background.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/