Re: CSS Regions proposal

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 21:11:31 -0700
To: "Belov, Charles" <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
Cc: Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
> From an accessibility perspective, I would be concerned with how the
> difference region-threads interact with each other it terms of document
> sequencing.  For example, if I have a content region-thread and a
> sidebar region-thread, how does the screen-reading software "know" to
> read a particular sidebar at a particular point while reading the
> content.
>
> For example, given content "blah blah blah (see sidebar) blah blah blah"
> how does the user-agent know to treat (see sidebar) like a hyperlink to
> the appropriate sidebar?  Preferably the listener would have the choice
> whether to hear the sidebar immediately or at the end of hearing the
> content.

The same way you do it now - by linking to the sidebar.  Today I can
have content with a sidebar running alongside it (that comes from
someplace significantly different in the DOM) that I refer to from the
main article.  This doesn't seem to have anything to do with
Regions/Threading directly, does it?