Re: [CSS21] Issue 283 - undefining size of replaced elements with intrinsic ratio only

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:12:47 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 3/22/11 7:59 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 3/22/11 7:57 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>>
>>> Uh... last I checked, every single UA does this. If I take a 100px by
>>> 100px image and I style it with "width: 200px" then it'll get rendered
>>> at 200px by 200px.
>>
>> Oh, I see. We're talking about the case of no intrinsic height but an
>> intrinsic ratio. I thought Firefox 4 used the intrinsic ratio in this
>> situation...
>
> Er, and the intrinsic ratio case _is_ the case that covers non-auto width
> and existing intrinsic width/height.  So I stand by my original mail!

Well, no, we're explicitly talking about when it doesn't have
intrinsic width or height, like an SVG with only a viewBox.

That said, I was wrong and I don't know how I was thinking what I
thought.  Yes, Opera and Firefox compute the auto dimensions of the
element from the ratio of its contents in this case.  Chrome and IE do
not.