Re: CSS Mixins proposal

Just a quick comment before I go and sleep.

On 23/03/2011 4:12 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Sylvain Galineau
> <sylvaing@microsoft.com>  wrote:
>> [Tab Atkins:]

>> So the argument shouldn't be 'This thing is so old it shouldn't be out there anymore
>> so I won't care that it actually still is', it should be 'I don't care because the change
>> required to accommodate this older browser will make authors' life harder and/or will make
>> it harder to implement/maintain/extend the feature for the following reasons'.
>
> I agree; I didn't mean to imply anything other than what you are
> saying here.  In particular, I object to using an obsolete browser as
> a reason to block a new feature entirely

IE9 and Opera 11 are not obsolete browsers but both have trouble parsing
character escapes. The first test filters Opera 11 (created under a
minute today). The second test filters IE9.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/selectors/parsing/character-escapes1.htm>

<http://css-class.com/test/css/selectors/parsing/character-escapes2.htm>

Even WebKit parses CSS differently due to incorrect handling of specificity.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/selectors/specificity-negation.htm>

I will go into detail of parsing in a follow up email.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/