Re: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

On Mar 9, 2011, at 02:51, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Based on today's discussion on in the CSS WG F2F meeting, I've
> published a new editor's draft of css3-multicol:
>
>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol
>
> Changes are:
>
>  - column-count is now always honored when column-width is auto, as
>    per:
>
>      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Mar/0169.html
>
>  - pseudo-algorithm is now aligned with prose, as per:
>
>      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Mar/0169.html
>
>  - prose on 'column-fill' now aligned with consesus, as recorded in:
>
>      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0599.html
>
> Also, I've added an alternative encoding of the pseudo-algorithm to --
> hopefully -- make it easier to read:
>
>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol/#pseudo-algorithm

I think repeating the conditions instead of using "else" does indeed make it easier to read.

I also like the replacement some of else clauses by a min() and max() functions.

There is just one mistake in the alternative pseudo-code: The min() on line 32 should be a max().

Strictly speaking, the note under the algorithm isn't correct either. If both 'column-width' and 'column-count' are set on an element with a known width, then 'column-count' indeed doesn't set the number of columns, but it isn't completely ignored either: it still serves as an upper bound.

Bert