Re: [css4-selectors] Allowing pseudo-classes on pseudo-elements

On 03/09/2011 04:34 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> Current selector syntax does not allow a pseudo-class to qualify a pseudo-element
> i.e. E::first-line:hover will not match when the first line of E is hovered.
>
> Working through our latest CSS3 Grid Alignment proposal [1], this means one couldn't do :
>
> 	#grid::grid-cell("nav"):hover {
> 	}
>
> One option would be to move the pseudo-class inside the functional part of the
> pseudo-element which - imo - looks unnatural i.e. the author would be writing
> something like #grid::grid-cell("nav" :hover) because the syntax disallows
> #grid::grid-cell("nav"):hover.

Current selector syntax isn't necessarily future selector syntax, and if you are
defining new selectors in your draft you can define appropriate syntax there.

This is, btw, most definitely not a css3-selectors issue. If anything it's a
css4-selectors issue. :)

~fantasai