Re: [css3-text] Proposed pruning & scoping of hyphenation properties

On 3/18/11 6:26 AM, "Christoph Päper" <christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:

> Christian Stockwell:
>
>> 4. For "hyphens: auto" we should remove the clause specifying that explicit
>> hyphenation should take priority over automatic resources.
>
> Could we defer that to a different value or keep Œauto¹ under a different name
> (maybe repurpose Œall¹)?
> At least visible, hard hyphens should take precedence over other
> algorithmically found hyphenation opportunities, whereas invisible, soft
> hyphes may not necessarily do so.
>
>             foobar    foo-bar   foo·bar   fo·ob·ar
>   Œnone¹    foobar    foo-bar   foobar    foobar
>   Œmanual¹  foobar    foo-|bar  foo-|bar  fo-|obar, foob-|ar
>   Œauto¹    foo-|bar  foo-|bar  foo-|bar  fo-|obar, foob-|ar, foo-|bar?
>   Œall¹     foo-|bar  foo-|bar  foo-|bar  fo-|ob-|ar? / fo-|o-|b-|ar?
>   ³trustUA² foo-|bar  foo-|bar  foo-|bar  foo-|bar
>
> The middle dot Œ·¹ indicates the soft hyphen U+00AD, the vertical bar Œ|¹
> indicates possible line breaks. The hyphen/minus character used could as well
> be the explicit hyphen U+2010.
>
> I hate wrong hyphenation more than unbalanced paragraphs.

Another convention that could be used is if a discretionary hyphen appears
at the beginning of a word, then the word does not hyphenate under any
circumstance:

            ·foobar   ·foo-bar
  Œnone¹    foobar    foo-bar
  Œmanual¹  foobar    foo-bar
  Œauto¹    foobar    foo-bar
  Œall¹     foobar    foo-bar
  ³trustUA² foobar    foo-bar

This lets you get the 'none' option either in content or styling.

Alan