Re: [CSS21] Issue 192 - floats and shortened line boxes

On 17/03/2011 10:47, Alan Gresley wrote:
> On 17/03/2011 1:08 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:
> [snip]
>> David and I both used the logic of Rules 6 and 8 in 9.5.1 to conclude
>> that the content before the float is indeed always reflowed into the
>> same line on the other side of the float; it's never broken into
>> multiple line boxes.

>> All I'm requesting, then, is that the spec be
>> cleaned up to remove that "first available" because it is
>> confusing/misleading, implying that in some circumstances the line on
>> the other side of the float might somehow not be available or that the
>> content might need splitting.
>
> Instead of "first available", how about "first possible"? Something
> available but not used does make "first available" sound like there a
> line box holder present which I have indicated with a '#' in the below
> example.
>
> x x x x x x
> | Float | a
> | Float | #
> | Float |
> bar car

No, you misunderstand the discussion.  The sentence in question concerns
the content immediately prior to the float in the document tree.  Such
content always remains on the same line (perhaps shifted to the other
side of the float if the float also shares that line).  It is never
moved downwards.  (That is the point being made in my Issue #3.)  The
first available/possible line is *always* the same line that it was
already on.

> <!DOCTYPE html>
> text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
> text text text text
> red;"></span>supercalifragilisticexpialodocious
>
> Where should the red border be placed? Presto and Gecko place the <span>
> with border at the end of the line box appearing visually above the
> float. Trident and WebKit places the <span> with border at the beginning
> of the line box appearing below the float.

Presto and Gecko are correct.

> My mental model sees each string (apart from certain entities within
> such a string that causes a break) as an individual line box so in the
> below example, I see 9 line boxes.
>
> x x x x x x
> | Float | a
> | Float | b